Platelet-rich plasma is a specialized substance that is a by-product of blood. It allows us to supply a high concentration of our patient’s blood platelets directly to the surgical site. This technique sends three to five times the number of platelets in a typical blood sample to the site, prompting bone and gum tissue growth, which speeds up healing in the mouth and offers patients a more comfortable recovery. At Oral Surgery Specialists of Oklahoma, patients have the choice to utilize platelet-rich plasma, sometimes called PRP, to assist in an optimal recovery following treatment.
Why utilize platelet-rich plasma?
Platelet-rich plasma is a unique treatment option because it accelerates the body’s natural healing process. Platelets in the blood enable clotting and the release of growth factors, which allow the body to heal on its own rapidly. By providing the surgical area with a lot of platelets, the rate of blood clotting and growth factor release is accelerated, allowing the body to heal more quickly and efficiently.
Patients who receive PRP during their procedure enjoy a variety of benefits, including
- A safer procedure. This technique enlists the power of the patient’s blood sample. Since no chemical additives are necessary, we significantly reduce the patient’s risk of disease transmission.
- An economical solution. Using the patient’s blood decreases the cost involved with harvesting platelets from a blood bank sample.
- A convenient treatment. The use of PRP is a versatile technique and is easy to use in various procedures performed at our office.
- A faster healing time. The increased platelet and leukocyte levels allow for rapid healing of tissue and bone. This benefit is particularly appealing to patients who have a busy lifestyle and wish to recover quickly.
Can platelet-rich plasma be used during my procedure?
Drs. Bryan and Goodson utilize platelet-rich plasma during several oral surgical procedures, including
- General or wisdom tooth extraction
- Bone grafting for dental implants
- Sinus lifting
- Ridge augmentation
- Gum tissue grafting
- Closure of cleft lip and palate defects
- Repair of the sinus cavity and mouth
During the initial consultation, we will discuss all options for treatment, including the use of platelet-rich plasma. We encourage patients to ask questions about their options to make an informed decision about their oral health.
Platelet-Rich Plasma and Oral Surgery in Oklahoma City, OK
At Oral Surgery Specialists of Oklahoma, we are proud to utilize platelet-rich plasma during our oral surgery procedures. To learn more about platelet-rich plasma (PRP) or how we can use it during your oral surgery procedure, please contact our office in Oklahoma City, OK. Drs. Bryan and Goodson are happy to answer any questions you may have and will utilize PRP for your treatment if appropriate.